2.13.2012

DIY magnetic spice tins

The other day when I was at IKEA I noticed one of their displays had little tin containers attached to a magnetic strip to hang your spices on.  I loved the idea, the look and needed them. However after asking a sales rep I found they were sold out and on backorder. LAME!

I then thought to myself, I could easily make a version of my own and maybe a little bit cheaper too.

I went to Michaels and purchased a roll of magnetic tape and Wilton’s favor tin kit. Then I went home and started cleaning out my spice cabinet. EEKS!

I love to cook and I have lots of spices. The kit comes with 30 containers and I would actually need 2 for all my spices. Well I don’t want to clutter up the side of my fridge, so I’m going to just do the one’s I use most.

Materials:
- A roll of magnetic tape
- Round tin containers (cleaned)
- Printed off labels
- Glue stick
- Scissors
- SPICES!


This super easy project begins with cutting off strips of the magnetic tape – I applied 2 strips per tin – Attach label with glue stick or photo tape – Fill with the coordinating spice – Put on lid and attach to fridge.


TADA!!
 

Here’s the price run down:
 
IKEA
Magnetic Strip $8.99
Tins 3 for $4.99

Michaels
Magnetic tape $2.99
Wilton tins 30 for $19.99
Used a 50% off coupon on the tins.


Also the tins do come with round labels that you can use your printer with. NEAT!














No comments:

Post a Comment