2.13.2012

Egg yolk deep conditioning hair treatment

I love to make homemade face masks, hair conditioners and body sugar scrubs.


One of my all time favorite hair masks is using ingredients that you already have around the house.


Things you'll need:


- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 t olive oil
- Essential oils (1-2 drops)

- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- Bowl, measuring cup, whisk, egg separator (if you have one)


Slight changes for long hair:


- 2 egg yolks
- 1 t olive oil
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- Essential oils (3-4 drops)


*During the summer months, I will sometimes use 2 t of olive oil. Only once every other week.


If you don't have the essentials oils, that's ok. This mixture will still give you the bounce and shine that you want. However, if you do want to get some oils I get all my oils online from Bodyoils4less. They have a great selection of oils, reasonable prices and quick shipping. 


Ok, so lets get mixing!


In a bowl crack your egg open and separate it so only the yolk remains - Whisk the yolk well - Add the olive oil, essential oils and whisk again - Slowly add in water.


At this point I transfer into a measuring cup and head to the bathroom.


You'll want to wet your hair and wash with a cleansing or gentle shampoo. I love and recommend Bumble & Bumble. Afterwards, rinse and squeeze out the excessive water in your hair.


This is where the measuring cup will come in handy. Pour the egg mixture over your hair from top to bottom. Using your fingers, massage your hair scalp. Use you fingers to "comb" the mixture thru your hair. Let sit for at least 5 minutes, I would say no more then 10.


Rinse well with warm water and finish off with a cool blast of water.


I've used this hair mask twice a week for years. Also, I will be sharing another egg yolk treatment I do once a month. It's more of a paste and sits on your hair for 90 minutes. So look forward to that one.  :)


Essential oils-


Lavender, lemon or geranium is good for all hair types. If you have more of a specific problem I suggest one of these:


Dry-
Rosemary
Sandalwood



Oily-
Peppermint


Dandruff-
Tea tree
Basil
















No comments:

Post a Comment