2.12.2012

Lemonberrytini Jello Shot


I finally bought some silicon molds and was eager to try them out. First I used just the basic Jell-O recipe and it turned out to be a FAIL! Thank goodness I didn't waste any alcohol in them.

The problem was, the Jell-O was too sticky and clinged to the sides; even after setting the tray in hot water for 30 seconds. Seeing my frustration my husband asked if I could use the Pam spray in the trays? After laughing at him, I then realized he might be on to something.

So I tried again with just the basic Jell-O recipe, but this time I used Pam in the mold. After spraying it in, I took a paper towel and wiped it off. You could still see that it was lightly coating the tray.

Round 2. First the good news. The spray worked. I still used the hot water and they slide right out but they were very jiggly, didn't hold shape and still stuck a little to the sides.

Round 3. This time it had to count because I was having company over tomorrow. So I cheated by using yet another flavored Jell-O pack and then added one pack of Knox gelatin to the mix. I removed from heat added the 1 cup blueberry vodka and poured into the molds already filled with the berries.

I used blueberries, because I like the random berry buoyancy.

Well it worked!! The Knox gave it the extra stiffness and they came out perfect and delicious.

Ingredients:
 
- 1 packet Knox gelatin
- 1 box Lemon flavored Jell-O
- 1 cup blueberries (washed)
- 2 silicon ice trays (Tovlo brand purchased from Target)
- 1 cup vodka OR blueberry vodka and shot of gin
- Plate to set tray on. (This makes it easier to move back and forth)
    *If you don't have the gin, the vodka alone is enough. Also you can use the plastic 2 oz cups if don't have the ice trays.

Quick instructions:

Boil one cup water - once it boils turn heat off, but leave pan on heated stove top - pour in both gelatin mixes and stir till dissolved - remove from heat and pour in alcohol- pour mixture into measuring cup and pour into tray filled with berries - place in fridge and cool for a couple hours or overnight.

When the Jell-o has harden, remove tray from plate and add hot water on to the plate - Set tray back on to the plate for 30 seconds - While on plate, start to peel back the tray from the Jell-o (view image) - After 30 seconds remove from the hot water and flip over on to a clean plate - Push in the bottom of the tray and they should slide right out.

Only one cube got stuck and I just again pealed back the tray along the stuck cube, flipped over and shook the tray and pushed on the bottom. It came out within a couple of seconds.

Once you have the setup for the display, sprinkle lightly with sugar. I used 1 teaspoon Splenda and actually didn't use it all.  *Also there was not taste of the cooking spray.



 They were a huge success and didn't last long. Hope you enjoy!
















No comments:

Post a Comment