10.25.2013

Halloween Books

I wanted to have a witches area in my entry way this year and while I was searching for decorations I saw ceramic books that said "Spells. Hexes or Curses" but they looked horrible and they were about $15, $20 dollars.

So course I made my own. For book sales look at your local library or church thrift store. I got all of these for 25 cents each.

Things you'll need:
-Books in various sizes
-Glue
-Paint (gold metallic looks awesome)
-Paint stain
-Sponge brush
-Brushes
-Hot glue

This is an easy and fun project to do. Start by hot gluing the front and back covers together. Then using a paint brush glue your pages together.

If you have a stain mix it in with the glue and paint on the pages. You can see in picture #6 the effect the glue does on the pages. Pretty cool, right?

If you can't find the right color of books all you need to do is paint them the color you want. This will usually take 2-3 coats.

I decided to burn of the pages for a cool effect. You can do this before or after gluing the book, but the glue doesn't burn as well.  If you do it after when you're gluing the pages it can make a mess because the pages flake.  I did it it both ways, because I liked both effects.

The fun part for me and the hubs was coming up with book titles. I think we came up with some good one.

Enjoy and have fun with this project.

You'll see the final project and how I set-up up my display in another post.



























No comments:

Post a Comment